Page:
"Awak" Automated Wearable Artificial Kidney
04-13-2007, 03:03 PM
"Awak" Automated Wearable Artificial Kidney
I had to read this article over and over, just so amazing which way
medical technology is heading.

Quote:Portable 'kidney' will weigh 1kg

US inventors team up with Temasek Poly to produce prototype of new dialysis machine

By Shree Ann Mathavan
April 14, 2007

THIS device is what kidney dialysis patients are hoping for.

Still in its development stage, the machine, which weighs only 1kg, will give them a sense of freedom.

The Automated Wearable Artificial Kidney (Awak), can be strapped on the waist while it performs dialysis.

This means patients can move around and not be stuck at a dialysis centre for hours on end.

The two inventors behind it are DrDavid Lee, 66, and DrMartin Roberts, 86, both from UCLA.

The duo spent the last 21 years (since 1986) fine-tuning the product's concept and testing the different components.

But they needed assistance. While they had components which worked, packaging everything into a neat, compact prototype was a problem.

They have chosen Singapore's own Temasek Polytechnic and a local firm to help them.

Nextwave Biomedical, a local company which produces biomedical productslearned about the duo's work through a contact.

The company, in turn, liaised with Temasek Polytechnic and after several exchanges, all three parties decided early last month to work together on building a commercial model.

The two inventors arrived yesterday for meetings with their two local partners.

They will also be talking to doctors about the technology behind their invention at a seminar today at Temasek Polytechnic Auditorium2 at 2pm.

Dr Roberts explained that what separates Awak from other dialysis treatments is its ability to allow patients to be mobile.

Most dialysis machines - even the desktop-sized ones- require patients to remain fixed in one position while receiving treatment.

Dr Lee said: 'At the moment now, when you tell a kidney patient they have to go for dialysis, it's like handing them a jail sentence.

'They have to go in and out of hospital, can't lead active lives and may even have to quit their jobs.'

In contrast, with their invention, patients could simply strap on the device like a belt or small pouch while getting on with their daily routine.

All this, while receiving treatment round the clock, instead of intermittently as practised now.

Said Dr Lee: 'Our aim is to let them let them live normal, healthy lives without restrictions.'

HOW IT WORKS

This very ease of movement is only possible not just because of the compact nature size of the device but also because the dialysis fluid is regenerated in and out of the patient.

The invention with its absorbent technology allows for toxins to be removed and cleansed, before entering the patient again.

In this way, the same amount of solution can be recycled back into the patient at the rates of four litres every hour.

In this way, DrLee explained, treatment costs is likely to be lower than that of traditional dialysis.

LOCAL PARTNERSHIP

Local partners, Temasek Polytechnic. intends to take on a multi-disciplinary approach to the project.

On board the team are eight lecturers from three different schools- engineering, design and applied science.

For Ms Michelle Chew, 32, a lecturer from applied science, the project is especially poignant.

Her late uncle, was a dialysis patient.

He had previously complained to her about missing out on social outings with his friends because his dialysis treatments restricted him.

She said: 'If such technology had been around then, a lot of patients like my uncle, would have benefited.'

link

~The most important things in the world
were accomplished by people who have
kept on trying when there seemed to be
no hope left~
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2007, 04:24 PM
RE: "Awak" Automated Wearable Artificial Kidney
Leaps and bounds thats great wont be long and some of us might be free of the bulky machine
04-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Len Wrote:Leaps and bounds   thats great    wont be long and some of us might be free of the bulky machine

with same results as we get on nocturnal, I would welcome it now Cwm35

no hope left~
04-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Yeah, except for us PD patients... Sad I think this was meant for hemo...what about those who cannot do hemo? Sad

Click here for all your organ donation awareness product needs!
KidneyFun // AngiesKidney
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!
~Dx'd solitary kidney & CKD Dec 1998 (11yrs old)
~PD April 2006 - May 2008 (18 - 20yrs old)
~Tx May 5, 2008 - URLD = fiancee <3
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-13-2007, 05:42 PM
shay Wrote:Yeah, except for us PD patients... Sad I think this was meant for hemo...what about those who cannot do hemo? Sad

well there may be a solution to your clotting problem Shay, but sometimes
it can take time to figure out the right treatment. You're doing fine right now
so hang on to that and think positive about the future, no one can take that away
from you Ok

no hope left~
04-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Good advice sunshine.... hang in thier Shay.... just a second I thought that this was for PD patients with catheters... as a matter of fact I really think that it is ....

Richard C/O Jessie

Nocturnal Home Haemodialysis
http://www.nocturnaldialysis.org/
Canadian Kidney Connection
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group....8965850985
Ontario Renal Community
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/grou...2892555522
04-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Jester Wrote:Good advice sunshine.... hang in thier Shay.... just a second I thought that this was for PD patients with catheters... as a matter of fact I really think that it is ....

Richard  C/O  Jessie

yep that's correct, dialysis "solution" what caught me off gaurd is when they
mentioned being tied down to hemo in center??

so yeah Shay! Dance

no hope left~
04-13-2007, 06:13 PM
I wasn't to sure at first but i remember reading about it awhile back and yup its for PD.... hell of a good idea to.....and we can hope for the best

Richard C/O Jessie

Nocturnal Home Haemodialysis
http://www.nocturnaldialysis.org/
Canadian Kidney Connection
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group....8965850985
Ontario Renal Community
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/grou...2892555522
04-15-2007, 06:44 PM
After I finished reading this artical, I could only assume that this new device has a ballanced mix of the effects of both PD and HD efforts and could be used by any kidney patient. Either way though, it sounds like a step in the right direction.

Co - Administrator of KidneyKorner.com
My personal site = The Server-Admins. Online Gaming Community
Experience is the greatest teacher.
04-15-2007, 08:43 PM
These 2 statements make me think it's for hemo:
Quote:This means patients can move around and not be stuck at a dialysis centre for hours on end.

All this, while receiving treatment round the clock, instead of intermittently as practised now.
Of course, I saw where it was talking about filtering fluids, but I wouldn't want to do PD with filtered fluid. We drain ours and dispose of it and put fresh sterile fluid back in. That doesn't sound very sanitary to me. Anyway, doesn't hemo have some sort of dialysate? I thought I heard someone mention it before, but I may be mistaken...

Click here for all your organ donation awareness product needs!
KidneyFun // AngiesKidney
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!
~Dx'd solitary kidney & CKD Dec 1998 (11yrs old)
~PD April 2006 - May 2008 (18 - 20yrs old)
~Tx May 5, 2008 - URLD = fiancee <3
Page: